Tokyo Water Attractive Spots
Intake Tower of Kanamachi Purification Plant
In August 1926, Kanamachi Purification Plant has started supplying water as a facility of “The Association of Edogawa Towns & Villages Water Supply”. The water supply district included 12 towns and villages of 3 counties, which at the time was Minami Katsushika, Minami Adachi, and Kita Toshima.Since taken over by the city of Tokyo in 1932, it has undergone number of expansions and improvement constructions. Also in 1992, it started operating an ozone and biological activated carbon combined advanced water treatment for the first time in Tokyo. It is located 1km south of Kanamachi Station of JR Joban Line, and 17km upstream of the Edo River estuary. There are famous historical sites such as Shibamata Taishakuten and Yagiri no Watashi nearby.
The two intake towers at the right bank of the Edo River intake the water from the surface of the river, and conveys it into the Kanamachi Purification Plant.
The Second Intake Tower with red triangular roof made of bricks was built in 1941. It appeared in the famous movie series “Otoko ha Tsuraiyo (It’s hard being a man)” and the comic“Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Koen Mae Hashutsujo”, and its adorable design is popular as a local symbol.
|Name||Intake Tower of Kanamachi Purification Plant|
|Overview||Second Intake Tower right bank upstream side of Edogawa River (Triangular Roof)
Third Intake Tower right bank downstream side of Edogawa River (Dome shaped Roof)
|Location／Access||1-1 Kanamachi Jyosuijou, Katsushika-Ward/JR Joban Line “Kanamachi Station”
15 min walk, right bank of Edogawa River